Category: ConfigMgr

The People’s History of ConfigMgr – Happy 25th Birthday ConfigMgr

Pirate,

I’m super happy to be part of the “The People’s History of ConfigMgr”. It’s  the second half of the “ConfigMgr @ 25” documentary series, and this story is told solely by the ConfigMgr community. For the first time on camera and on the record, a wide variety of ConfigMgr fellows talk openly as they reflect on their good (and terrible) experiences, how it changed the way they work, and what ConfigMgr has meant to their careers — and the industry.

 

 

Continue reading

Windows 10 – Windows Store for Business – Managing Apps with System Center Configuration Manager

 

With Windows 10 Microsoft has released a product called Windows Store for Business. Today we will have a look at sideloading apps with System Center Configuration Manager. This is also Part 5 of the Windows Store for Business series:

Continue reading

SCCM Client Activity: Active / Inactive

Ahoey Pirate!

Recently I had an issue where every client went from active to inactive.

2015_02_17_17_39_06_Remotedesktopverbindung.png_2

 

At Site Status SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER reported Management point as “critical” with two significant errors:

 

“MP could not write out CCM setting to WMI.

Possible cause: MP didn’t get installed properly.
Solution: Ensure MP setup succeeded; if not, reinstall MP”

 

and

 

“SMS Executive detected that this component stopped unexpectedly.

Possible cause: The component is experiencing a severe problem that caused it to stop unexpectedly.
Solution: Refer to your ConfigMgr Documentation or the Microsoft Knowledge Base for further troubleshooting information.”

 

For me the next step was to look into mpcontrol.log where I found these errors

2015-02-18 09_07_03- Remotedesktopverbindung

 

 

“CMPControlManager::WriteToCCMSettings(): pWmi->GetObject() failed – 0x80041002”

“MPStart(): WriteToCCMSettings() failed – 0x80041002”

“SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER failed to start with 0x80041002”

“CMPControlManager::ReadConfigurationSettings(): m_pWmi->GetObject() failed – 0x80041010”

 

For me it seemed to be an issue with WMI. So first thing I tried was to connect to a client with Windows Management Instrumentation Tester (wbemtest) and that worked. Next I tried to do a clean client installation by using the “Uninstall existing Configuration Manager client before the client is installed” function. The client installation aboarded nearly instant with the following message:

 

“GetDPLocations failed with error 0x8000ffff”

“Failed to get DP locations as the expected version from MP ‘[SERVERNAME]’. Error 0x8000ffff”

 

So I tried to figure out if the client is able to connect to the management point. Therefore you can use your Web browser and type in following adress

 

HTTP://[Hostname or FQDN]/SMS_MP/.SMS_AUT?MPCERT

 

instead of something like this:

 

2015-02-18 10_39_03- Remotedesktopverbindung

 

I got an Internal server error.

So everything pointet out to be a faulty or misconfigured management point and I decided to reinstall that role. So I opened up Administration\Overview\Site Configuration\Servers and Site System Roles\ selected the affected Management Point and hit on Remove Role. In MPSetup.log you can follow the deinstallation.

 

2015-02-18 10_59_05- Remotedesktopverbindung_2

 

After a while I reinstalled the Management Point.

 

2015-02-18 11_41_17- Remotedesktopverbindung_2

Management Point was available via Internet Explorer and my client reported Client Activity as Active. Problem solved!

 

Good luck

*Captain

 

© 2017 IT-Pirate